Sumatran orangutan habitat overlaps 2 Provinces and 21 Districts, presenting many challenges for integrated development policies. 78% of the species’ present range lies within Aceh, and the remaining 22% in North Sumatra. A total of 13 districts in Aceh, and eight in North Sumatra, contain forests where wild Sumatran orangutans still occur.
From collection: Orangutans and the Economics of Sustainable Forest Management in Sumatra
Riccardo Pravettoni, UNEP/GRID-Arendal