GRID-Arendal: Annual Report 2006
UNEP/GRID-Arendal's operations continue to focus on serving the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) with Environmental information products and services.
Highlights for 2006 include:
- leadership on polar content of UNEP`s GEO assessments;
- development of data policy and outreach for the International Polar Year starting March 2007, as well as the establishment of UNEP`s role in this two-year event;
- intervention through the Arctic Council to help establish improved monitoring and reporting of biodiversity status and trends;
- collaboration with the oil industry on training and awareness of Arctic environmental and social issues, and
- participation in several projects aimed at developing and testing awareness and appropriate methodology for community-based natural resource management and integrated ecosystem assessment, relating particularly to indigenous communities. This included work on two GEF projects, one collaborative project with the oil industry, development of a course through Saami University College, and a project through UNEP on improving disaster management through the use of indigenous knowledge.
Type: Annual Report
Year of publication: 2007
Place of publication: Arendal