Senior Communications Officer (Science writer/editor)
GRID-Arendal is looking for a Senior Communications Officer with excellent English language skills. You should have experience in communications or journalism with a strong background in environmental issues. You will be working with highly motivated international team members to advise and support your colleagues to develop communications plans that deliver results and demonstrate impact. Experience in an international setting is a definite asset. This is a full-time position based in Arendal, Norway.
The Senior Communication Officer (Science writer/editor) is a member of the Communications; Technology and Innovation team and serves as the primary writer/editor of GRID-Arendal’s communication and outreach products and major reporting documents. S/he works closely with project staff to ensure that outputs produced by projects are of the highest quality in terms of accuracy, utility, clarity, readability, and appeal. S/he assists in the development of GRID-Arendal’s creative communications by working with programme and project leads to integrate communications into all the organization’s projects. This includes developing communications plans, identifying audiences, cultivating and managing relationships with local, national and international media, assisting in increasing GRID-Arendal’s social media reach, and other related activities to raise GRID-Arendal’s profile in Norway and globally. The primary goal is to expand the reach and influence of GRID-Arendal. This is a “hands-on” position requiring flexibility and the ability to work on numerous projects at the same time.
The Senior Communications Officer (Science Writer/Editor) is supervised by the Chief of Communications, Technology and Innovation.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Serve as the lead writer and/or editor for outreach and communication materials and major GRID-Arendal reporting and planning documents including, but not limited to: the GRID-Arendal Annual report, press releases, event scenarios, speeches, talking points, briefing checklists, fact sheets, success stories, newsletter articles, content for social media channels and websites, presentations and reports, and outreach campaigns.
- Ensure English-language materials for internal and external use by GRID-Arendal are clearly written, well organized and free of grammatical errors; follow appropriate templates and style guidelines; are tailored to the intended audience(s) while maintaining technical accuracy.
- Ensure quality control of communication products
- Contribute to the design and strategic development of GRID-Arendal’s Communication programme,
- Together with Chief of Communications, Technology and Innovation, work collaboratively with GRID-Arendal’s different programmes and teams to establish communications and marketing plans for increasing GRID-Arendal’s institutional visibility and presence related to its mission and values;
- Lead and implement new activities in line with GRID-Arendal’s Communication Strategy and support project leads when relevant;
- Responsible for project management, including project development, budgets and reporting to clients;
- Raise funds to support GRID-Arendal communications through identification of opportunities, engagement with funders and participation in proposal development and submission;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education, experience and skills:
- Master’s degree in communications and/journalism or a related field;
- Minimum 10 years of experience focused on environmental issues or an equivalent communication setting, of which at least 5 years must be science writing;
- Ability to think logically and understand complex ideas and data
- Creative and innovative ability to convey technical and complex concepts to a variety of audiences;
- Minimum of 5 years of international working experience and knowledge about the UN system/international organizations preferred;
- Experience with media outreach and public presentations;
- Excellent English written and verbal communications skills. Additional language skills would be an advantage;
- Established network of contacts in support of the aforementioned goals would be a great asset
- A strong interest in science and the environment
- Excellent team player and ability to also work independently;
- High motivation and energy;
- Ability to pursue multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment and consistently meet deadlines;
- Strong organizational and time management skills and attention to detail;
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work in an international and culturally diverse environment.
GRID-Arendal is committed to building and maintaining a diverse and welcoming workplace. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
GRID-Arendal’s salary system is linked to the Norwegian Government salary system, based on education and experience. Salaries are subject to Norwegian tax regulations. Insurance and personal benefits are provided in addition to salary.
Deadline for applications 23 May 2021
Application should include a cover letter and curriculum vitae. Please send your application by email to: email@example.com and mark in the subject ‘Senior Communication Officer’, by close of business on 23 May 2021.
For more information about the position, please contact: Janet Fernandez Skaalvik, Chief of Communications, Technology and Innovation, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Type: Permanent, full time
Position type: Permanent