GRID-Arendal is seeking a Communications Officer to provide support to its Communications, Technology and Innovation Team in implementing the organization’s internal and external communications strategy.
To succeed as a Communications Officer, you should have excellent English-language communication skills, experience writing and editing, creativity, and a passion for protecting the environment. A bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, English, environmental studies, or a related field is required; a master’s degree is a plus. This is a full-time position based in Arendal, Norway.
The Communications Officer will report to the Chief of Communications, Technology and Innovation and play a vital role in communicating about GRID-Arendal and its work.
- Keep track of communication needs and co-develop communication strategies for programmes
- Assist in developing, designing, and producing a variety of communication products, including printed publications, websites, email newsletters, blog posts, infographics, videos, and PowerPoint presentations
- Write, copy-edit, proofread, and format content
- Maintain and update the GRID-Arendal website
- Assist in managing libraries of maps, graphics, photos, and videos
- Work collaboratively with the Communications. Technology and Innovation Team to develop new strategies and tools for sharing environmental information with a broad range of audiences
Required qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, English, environmental studies, or a related field
- At least two years of professional experience in developing communication products and implementing communication activities
- Impeccable English language skills
- Strong copy-editing and proofreading skills
- Ability to write about complex topics in clear language for a variety of audiences
- Basic understanding of scientific and/or environment-related topics
- Excellent communication skills, including interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple projects with overlapping deadlines
- Keen attention to detail
- Ability to work collaboratively in a diverse workplace
It would be great if you also have:
- Experience working on both print and online editorial products
- Knowledge of international environmental issues and players, including the United Nations
- Proficiency in Norwegian, oral and written
- Proficiency in other languages
- Ability to edit video
- Experience developing social media strategy
- Experience using Hootsuite, PowerPoint, and website content management systems
- Ability to think creatively
- A good sense of humour
GRID-Arendal is committed to building and maintaining a diverse and welcoming workplace. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
GRID-Arendal’s salary system is linked to the Norwegian Government salary system, based on education and experience. Salaries are subject to Norwegian tax regulations. Insurance and personal benefits are provided in addition to salary.
Deadline for application: 23 May 2021
Application should include a cover letter and curriculum vitae.
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, with ‘Communications Officer’ in the subject line, by close of business on 23 May 2021.
For more information about the position and application, contact: Janet Skaalvik, Chief of Communications, Technology and Innovation, email@example.com.
Starting date: 2021-06-01
Position type: Permanent