Call for Expression of Interest: Science writers and editors
GRID-Arendal is seeking to develop a roster of professional science writers and editors who are interested in periodic freelance assignments working on reports, policy briefs and other materials. As a non-profit environmental communications centre, GRID-Arendal collaborates with the UN Environment Programme and other partners to produce publications and communication products that make science accessible to policymakers. Our work focuses on climate change, blue carbon, plastic pollution, marine spatial planning, environmental crime and many other topics.
Successful candidates will be offered a three-year contract that opens up the opportunity to take on specific writing and editing assignments on a case-by-case basis. A contract is not a guarantee of work, but lays the groundwork for bidding on projects that are of interest. When GRID-Arendal seeks a writer or editor for an assignment, we will send a query to our roster of freelancers.
- At least four years of professional experience as a writer and/or editor
- Experience writing and/or editing text about science for a non-scientific audience
- Ability to produce clean, clear and accurate copy
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Rigorous commitment to meeting deadlines
Additional appreciated qualifications:
- Knowledge about a range of environment-related topics
- Experience writing and/or editing for international audiences
- Familiarity with United Nations systems, publishing processes and style guide
- Fluency in one or more UN languages beyond English: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish
- Fluency in Norwegian
Applications should include:
- a short cover letter explaining your experience and interest
- fee structure
- links to or examples of relevant work
- names and contact information for two professional references
Please email applications to email@example.com with “science writer/editor” in the subject line by close of business on 14 March 2021.
For further information, please contact: Janet Fernandez Skaalvik, Chief of Communications, Technology and Innovation, firstname.lastname@example.org, +47 414 99 472 or Lisa Hymas, Senior Communications Officer, email@example.com, +47 404 06 130 and +1 206 853 2673.
We thank you for your interest.
Type: Independent Consultancy Contract
Duration: Three years
Starting date: 2021-04-01
Ending date: 2024-03-31