Developing ways to capture the fundamental role of healthy ecosystems for social and economic development.
GRID-Arendal is seeking a senior specialist to provide consulting services to support the coordination and delivery of work in the areas of resource management, global environmental assessment, capacity building and waste management/marine litter. The consultant will have broad familiarity with GRID-Arendal’s work, and working with global organisations including the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). They will have a strong network within the Asia Pacific Region particularly related to maritime boundaries and marine resource management.
The senior specialist will have a strong experience working with coastal states on delimitation of their maritime boundaries and extended continental shelf claims under Article 76 of UNCLOS. They will have a strong track record of delivering high quality environmental assessment reports, particularly in partnership with UNEP. They will have extensive knowledge of resource management including deep-sea minerals, mine tailings management, household plastic waste and marine litter. Finally, they will have demonstrated capacity to network and develop new strategic opportunities.
The senior specialist will be responsible for the delivery of the following activities:
1. Capacity building and advisory services for countries completing their submission for extended continental shelf under UNCLOS;
2. Capacity building for climate change planning and maritime boundaries delimitation for coastal states and small island developing states;
3. Coordination and editorial support and/or lead for global, regional and national integrated environmental assessments, including issues such as global wild fires and Geo for Cities;
4. Support for responsible resource extraction including deep-sea minerals and mine tailings management;
5. Support for the development of guidelines and other outputs related to the management of waste and marine litter;
6. Fundraising in particular for Pacific and South Asia region; to develop new proposals and funding applications for relevant and agreed upon efforts.
The Consultant will be selected based on demonstrated expertise and cost.
Application: Responses to the Call for Expression of Interest must include the following:
Please contact Miles Macmillan-Lawler (firstname.lastname@example.org) for any questions on this position.
Type: Independent Consultancy Contract
Duration: As soon as possible until 31 December 2021, with a possibility of 1 year extension depending on funding. The work load may vary based on needs, but it is expected to be full-time in 2021
Starting date: 2021-02-15
Ending date: 2021-12-31