Experts, Marine Environment (marine litter)
GRID-Arendal is a small, flexible organization with highly qualified staff that specializes in complex environmental issues. We seek 1-2 experts in marine environmental management to join our team and support our ongoing work addressing marine litter. The ideal candidates support the delivery of projects related to reducing marine litter, with a particular focus on supporting developing countries tackling marine plastic pollution. The candidates will have experience working with UN agencies, international development programmes or similar.
The positions are for a two-year full-time employment based in Arendal, Norway, with possibility for extension.
- Conduct research and analysis to build a knowledge base on sources of marine litter in developing countries – with a focus on identifying solutions to reduce the litter entering the marine environment.
- Work closely with other staff to ensure that GRID-Arendal delivers high quality outcomes, with a particular focus on supporting developing countries tackling marine litter.
- Write communication outputs, concept notes for events, policy oriented papers, and reports.
- Organise events, meetings and workshops and provide general logistic coordination.
- Develop and maintain good relationship and regularly report to project managers and project clients and donors.
- Promote good external understanding of the Waste and Marine Litter programme's objectives and outputs.
Preferred professional qualifications
- Masters degree or equivalent in environmental science, development studies or related field preferably with experience on addressing marine litter issues
- Five years of experience in environmental management
- Excellent research skills, collecting data and writing assessment reports.
- Experience developing innovative communication products for a wide variety of audiences
- Excellent communications skills, including both written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of other languages, particularly French or Norwegian would be an advantage.
- Experience in working with the United Nations system, especially UN Environment is an advantage.
- Strong track record in successful project completion, delivering high impact outcomes.
Preferred personal qualifications
- Excellent team player and ability to work independently
- Creative and energetic; innovative thinker
- Ability to pursue multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment and consistently meet deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work in an international and culturally diverse environment
GRID-Arendal’s salary system is per today linked to the Norwegian Government salary system. It is based on education and experience. Salaries are subject to Norwegian tax regulations. Insurance and personal benefits are provided in addition to salary.
Deadline for applications: 15 November 2019
Application should include a cover letter and curriculum vitae. Please send your application by email to: email@example.com and mark in the subject ‘Waste and Marine Litter’, by close of business on 15 November 2019.
For more information about the positions, please contact Kari Scheie +47 926 44 420, or Miles Macmillan-Lawler +47 975 96 865.
Duration: 2 years
Starting date: 2019-12-01
Ending date: 2021-12-01