GIS, Cartography and Design Services
Introduction to GRID-Arendal
GRID-Arendal is a non-profit environmental communications centre based in Norway. We transform environmental data into innovative, science-based information products and provide capacity-building services that enable better environmental governance. We aim to inform and activate a global audience and motivate decision-makers to effect positive change. Our vision is a society that understands, values, and protects the environment on which it depends.
GRID-Arendal was established in 1989 by the Norwegian Ministry of the Environment to support environmentally sustainable development by collaborating with the United Nations Environment Programme and other partners. The launch of GRID-Arendal was an outgrowth of the World Commission on Environment and Development, also known as the Brundtland Commission.
We work closely with UN agencies, regional organizations, national governments, and other strategic partners to create positive environmental outcomes and impact, particularly in developing countries. A major focus for GRID-Arendal is supporting fulfilment of the Sustainable Development Goals, the Paris climate agreement, and other regional and international commitments. Our work is organised into programmes on Polar and Climate, Marine Environment, Waste and Marine Litter, and Transboundary Governance & Environmental Crime, supported by the Production and Communications Office and the Project Support Office.
GRID-Arendal works on a wide range of projects transforming complex scientific and environmental information into easily understandable and visually compelling maps and graphics. These maps and graphics are designed to allow decision and policy makers to understand issues and motivate action that will lead to positive environmental outcomes. The successful applicant will supplement our internal capacity in GIS, cartography and design, to help us deliver our high-quality outputs.
Tasks and deliverables
GRID-Arendal is seeking to sign a framework agreement with one or more suppliers for GIS, cartography and design services as outlined below:
· Synthesis and analysis information from a range of sources including scientific publications, reports, GIS data, remote sensing data and online databases and prepare for use in maps and graphics.
· Produces static maps that communicate scientific information and trends to a non-expert audience for print and digital consumption.
· Develop graphics and infographics that simplify complex information and concepts for a non-expert audience.
· Produce interactive maps and infographics to display spatial data and other relevant information.
· Communicate with project managers and translate their requirements into visually compelling maps and graphics.
· Develop and work with style guides to ensure consistent visual standards for within and across publications.
· Experience with Adobe creative suit, GIS and other industry standard software for design and graphics.
The framework agreement will be valid for a three-year period.
Budget and evaluation
The framework will be up to 2,000,000 Norwegian Krone.
Evaluation criteria with weighting (total 100)
Applicants will be assessed on the following criteria:
· Knowledge and experience in working with cartography, data visualisation and/or graphic design, with particular focus on communication of environmental and scientific information.
· Skills and approach, highlighting technical competence and approach to working with project managers to translate their requirements into visually compelling maps and graphics.
· Portfolio of previous work, highlighting relevant examples that are related to the terms of reference.
· Green certification according to national or industry standards (for example, Miljøfyrtårn, ISO certification)
· Price given in daily or standard rates
In case of multiple applicants being selected for this Framework, applicants will be ranked based on the evaluation. The following weighting will be used in the evaluation.
Knowledge and experience - Weighting: 30
Skills and approach - Weighting: 25
Portfolio - Weighting: 25
Green Certification - Weighting: 10
Price - Weighting: 10
IMPORTANT - The consultant is required to:
- never have been convicted of any criminal activity or named in a case involving corruption.
- not have any conflict
of interest with any staff member of GRID-Arendal, including but not
limited to a relationship by birth or marriage to any staff member, joint
ownership of property or involvement in past or present business ventures.
Process for submission
All interested parties must submit their quotation to the following email address - email@example.com, no later than April 26, 2023. 12:00 CET, with reference ‘GIS, Cartography and Design Services’ (CC Miles.Macmillan-Lawler@grida.no).
Any questions about the project and work to be carried out should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Quotations must include a (1) brief description of criteria provided above and portfolio, (2) Financial offer (fees can be quoted in USD, Euro, or Norwegian Kroner).
Quotations submitted shall be binding and valid for a period of third (30) days from the due date stated herein. Any prices accepted during this period will be considered firm/fixed. GRID-Arendal will award this requirement in total and will not accept any partial quotations.
Type: Terms of Reference
Duration: 3 Years
Starting date: 2023-04-26
Position type: Permanent