Call for artist/graphic designer
Introduction to GRID-Arendal
GRID-Arendal is a non-profit environmental communications centre based in Norway. We transform environmental data into innovative, science-based information products and provide capacity-building services that enable better environmental governance. We aim to inform and activate a global audience and motivate decision-makers to effect positive change.
As one of 26 partners from 12 countries, GRID-Arendal is part of ‘NUNATARYUK’, an international permafrost research project funded by the European Union Horizon 2020 framework programme. In Nunataryuk, the partners work together to understand how thawing permafrost on land, along the coast and below the sea changes the global climate and life for people in the Arctic.
In addition to conducting scientific research, NUNATARYUK is creating the first-ever Atlas of Arctic Permafrost. The Atlas will be a collection of original and never before featured maps and graphics by Levi Westerveld, a prize-winning cartographer. The atlas will also include portraits that will give insight to the life and work on permafrost in order to help convey the message that permafrost thawing is not only something that is being studied by scientists but effects people living on permafrost, and in particular Indigenous Peoples who have been living in harmony with permafrost. Therefore, the project is looking to feature the work of a talented young artist and/or graphic designer to accompany these portraits.
What we are looking for
A set of 9 artistic illustrations, drawing inspiration from life on permafrost in the Arctic. We are preferably looking for a talented young artist that has first-hand experience from living on Arctic permafrost and especially encourage Indigenous artists to apply. The illustrations should complement the style of the Atlas and we encourage to keep the design minimalistic and using only a few colours. The pieces do not have to be for exclusive use of the Atlas, and already published pieces are welcomed.
- Submission deadline: November 27th
- The selection of the successful candidate will be completed by December 2nd
- Thereafter the selected candidate will be given until December 22nd to deliver the illustrations (or by mutual agreement).
What we can offer
- An honorarium of up to 300 USD per piece
- A one page spread in the Permafrost Atlas for credits and an artist statement
- Your art to be distributed in the Permafrost Atlas, both in print and an online version. 2 hard copies will be shared with you.
Application process and evaluation
If you are interested, please send us a simple application marked NUNATARYUK to email@example.com (CC firstname.lastname@example.org) by November 27th 2022, 4pm CET, including:
- A sample of an illustration
- A short statement explaining your ideas and motivation for the project and your experience living on permafrost and
- A quotation with a total budget (fees can be quoted in USD, Euro, or Norwegian Kroner)
Quotations submitted shall be binding and valid for a period of third (30) days from the due date stated herein. Any prices accepted during this period will be considered firm/fixed. GRID-Arendal will award this requirement in total and will not accept any partial quotations.
IMPORTANT - The consultant is required to:
- never have been convicted of any criminal activity or named in a case involving corruption.
- not have any conflict of interest with any staff member of GRID-Arendal, including but not limited to a relationship by birth or marriage to any staff member, joint ownership of property or involvement in past or present business ventures.
If you have any questions please contact: email@example.com
Starting date: 2022-12-02
Ending date: 2022-11-22