We are looking for a skilled, efficient Developer to join GRID-Arendal for a fixed term. The developer can be from a larger organisation or self-employed.
The candidate should have knowledge on how front-end design interacts with back-end technology, able to work with agile-inspired processes, and eager to apply the latest in software trends as part of a dynamic project-driven organisation.
Ideally the candidate will work located in our Arendal Office, but we are open to working remotely with the caveat that the candidate must be available in our core office hours (9.00 – 15:00 CET).
The position is fixed term for the period of 12 months but we would like the option of extending the position depending on project dependencies.
GRID-Arendal Is a non-profit environnemental communications centre. We transform environmental data into innovative, science-based information products and provide capacity-building services. We aim to inform and activate a global audience and motivate decision-makers to effect positive change. GRID-Arendal collaborates with the United Nations Environment Programme and other partners around the world. You can find more information about GRID-Arendal here: www.grida.no.
GRID-Arendal consists of 4 content driven thematic programmes as well as a Production and Communication office. This position will be reporting to Head of Production and Communication Office and joining a diverse team that focuses on delivering innovative products to communicate scientific advice and information to decision-makers, and to deliver GRID-Arendal’s capacity building services.
The team consists of a wide range of skills and backgrounds, including graphic design, video production, Animation, GIS, GEO visualisation, big data sets, digital image processing, cartography, geographical analysis, and communication.
GRID-Arendal strives to develop digital applications in a way that requires a more artistic and creative form of visual communication, co-creation, and co-development with users, while maintaining scientific accuracy.
We are looking for a candidate who is motivated to combine the art of software development with the art of programming and the science of environmental data to join our team. You will work with a growing dynamic team of graphic designers and cartographers to bridge the gap between design and technical implementation, taking an active role on both areas and defining how the application looks so it is intuitive for targeted users, as well as how it works.
You will design web applications with substantial UI/UX requirements and understand how to determine the best journey for technical users to achieve their goals and introduce new functionality.
You should have the ability to translate requirements into appealing and functional interactive applications. In addition to this, you should be good at creating an attractive and functional digital environment for our products by ensuring an exceptional user experience. We are looking for innovative digital narratives and interactive design skills to communicate best our work.
- Expert knowledge of the python ecosystem and Django web framework.
- Experience working on the UX/UI design of complex, data-rich applications, Deep understanding of UX and UI best practice, usability, accessibility, and design systems.
- Experience working directly with developers on design implementation
- Excellent capacity to work autonomously or integrated in a team
- Good problem-solving and analytical skills
- Proactivity and ability to adapt in a context in which priorities often change
- Developed sense of responsibility, oriented to user-focussed solutions and associated improvements
- Know-how of debugging and testing software for cross-browser compatibility.
Additional appreciated Skills
- Responsive web design experience
- Experience working directly with users of digital products and collecting user needs
- Knowledge of one or more database system (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle DB).
- Knowledge of one or more web-mapping API (e.g., Leaflet, OpenLayers, Google Maps etc.)
- Web based 3D application and animation
- PHP/.NET web framework
- WordPress CMS
Applications should include:
- Cover letter explaining your experience and interest
- Curriculum vitae
- Links to a personal portfolio or examples of relevant work, including sites and/or your source code repository
- Names and contact information for two professional references
Application Due: September 29
Starting Date: As soon as possible
For further information, please contact:
Head of Production and Communication Lorna Little
Duration: 1 year with the possibility of extension
Position type: Permanent