We uncover the true facts behind these 10 Plastic Myths
Introduction to GRID-Arendal
GRID-Arendal is a non-profit environmental communications centre based in Norway. We transform environmental data into innovative, science-based information products and provide capacity-building services that enable better environmental governance. We aim to inform and activate a global audience and motivate decision-makers to effect positive change. Our vision is a society that understands, values, and protects the environment on which it depends.
GRID-Arendal was established in 1989 by the Norwegian Ministry of the Environment to support environmentally sustainable development by collaborating with the United Nations Environment Programme and other partners.
We work closely with UN agencies, regional organizations, national governments, and other strategic partners to create positive environmental outcomes and impact, particularly in developing countries. A major focus for GRID-Arendal is supporting fulfilment of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, the Paris climate agreement, and other regional and international commitments.
Our work is organised under four programmes: Polar and Climate, Marine Environment, Waste & Marine Litter, and Transboundary Governance & Environmental Crime, supported by a Production and Communications Office and a Project Support Office.
Plastic reaches each corner of our life but some of its products receive more attention than others. Plastic packaging is in the spotlight because of its short serving time and consequently rapid waste generation, however, plastic use in other sectors such as textile, automotive or interior fail to receive adequate attention. Our polymer wearing, adhesives, plastic flooring and billions of other applications are based on various kinds of synthetic polymers.
No matter where and how plastic is used, it requires environmentally sound management at the end of the product life cycle. To eliminate adverse effects of plastic pollution to human health and the environment, the Parties to the Basel Convention, the only globally binding multilateral environmental agreement on waste, have agreed on a landmark decision to amend the treaty with new plastic waste entries in Annex II, VIII and IX.
The new plastic waste amendments apply to 186 Parties to the Basel Convention representing different economies. Even though North America, Europe, and Asia are the dominating regions of the leading by volume plastic waste trade, other regions such as Africa is expected to take off in plastic waste trade in the coming years. In addition, the relevance of the issue applies to all Parties through product-waste nexus under the highly globalized economic settings. Knowledge about the plastic products and their chemical composition including additives is relevant to all geographies to apply the environmentally sound waste management.
The outcome of this project is a report that will provide information about the use and life cycle of cured resins, condensation products and fluorinated polymers to foster knowledge-based decision-making process of the Parties to the Basel Convention, across their competent authorities and other relevant stakeholders. The report will be based on the literature review conducted by GRID-Arendal.
1. Write a summary report of 20-25 pages about plastic wastes focussing primarily on cured resins, condensation products and fluorinated polymers based on the literature review provided by GRID-Arendal. The consultant will close the necessary research gaps which may occur in the writing process.
2. Utilize the best scientific, technical, and socio-economic information available.
3. Make references to work done by others. There is zero tolerance to plagiarism or borrowing texts from different sources. Should reference be required, only primary sources will be identified. It is advised to use APA reference system.
4. Interact with GRID-Arendal and other contributing authors (e.g., research team) to ensure coherent and accurate delivery of the report. The Consultant will address comments coming from the review process and respond to required changes promptly.
5. Ensure that the various components of his/her chapter are brought together on time, are of uniformly high quality, and conform to any overall standards of style set for the document.
A 20-25 page-report about plastic waste, focussing on cured resins, condensation products and fluorinated polymers, in electronic format in English.
· Background in chemistry and environmental engineering
· Excellent knowledge about global waste and chemical policies
· Ability to summarize complex technical information into information report and where necessary preform additional desk research
· Excellent English writing skills
August 2022 – October 2022.
Independent consultancy contract / Service providing contract
The budget for this work is between 60000 and 80000 Norwegian kroner.
Process for submission
All interested parties must submit their Expression of Interest and quotation to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 11 August 2022 and mark in the subject “Preparation of a summary report on plastic waste” (cc email@example.com).
Any questions about the project and work to be carried out should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Quotations must include:
1. a cover letter (1-page max) and curriculum vitae (including contact details of at least 2 referees for which similar work has been undertaken)
2. a brief description of approach and methodology
3. a financial offer (fees can be quoted in USD, Euro, or Norwegian Kroner)
4. Implementation timeline
Consultant will be selected based on the following criteria:
1. Qualifications of the consultant based on consultant’s CV and record of experience (50%)
2. Cost of delivery (25%)
3. Timely delivery (25%)
Quotations submitted shall be binding and valid for a period of third (30) days from the due date stated herein. Any prices accepted during this period will be considered firm/fixed. GRID-Arendal will award this requirement in total and will not accept any partial quotations.
Starting date: 2022-08-11
Ending date: 2022-10-31