Vacancy Announcement: Head of Media Relations
GRID-Arendal is looking for a Head of Media Relations with excellent English and Norwegian language skills. You should have experience in communications or journalism with a strong background in environmental issues. You will be working with highly motivated international team members to advise and support your colleagues to raise awareness and increase the visibility of GRID-Arendal primarily though media. Experience in an international working environment and an existing network of media contacts are a definite asset. This is a full-time position based in Arendal, Norway.
Organizational Setting and Reporting
GRID-Arendal is a non-profit environmental communications centre based in Norway. We transform environmental data into innovative, science-based information products and provide capacity-building services that enable better environmental governance. We aim to inform and activate a global audience and motivate decision-makers to effect positive change. Our vision is a society that understands, values, and protects the environment on which it depends.
The position of Head of Media Relations is in the Communications, Technology and Innovation Unit. Reporting to the Managing Director, the incumbent will carry out the following duties:
- Act as spokesperson and focal point on issues related to the media, monitoring and reporting on developments, responding to inquiries, etc.
- Ensure the development and implementation of GRID-Arendal’s media engagement strategies to publicize priority environmental issues and/or major events.
- Undertake activities to promote media coverage in Norway and internationally (e.g. press conferences, interviews, press seminars and other special activities) of priority environmental issues and/or major events, to include development of a media strategy and action plan, initiating pro-active media outreach efforts, proposing and arranging press conferences/media coverage, disseminating materials and consulting with press on approach/story angle and other information requests, undertaking appropriate follow-up action and analysing and reporting on the impact of coverage.
- Produce or oversee the production of press kits, press releases, background briefs, messaging documents and opinion pieces. This would include proposing topics, undertaking research, determining appropriate medium and target audience, preparing production plans, writing drafts, obtaining clearances and finalizing texts, editing copy, and distribution.
- Initiate and sustain professional relationships on behalf of GRID-Arendal with media worldwide.
- Position GRID-Arendal staff as subject matter experts
- Serve as official spokesperson for media contacts
- Provides guidance to, and may supervise, more junior staff and consultants as required
- Performs other related duties as may be assigned.
- Ability to rapidly analyse and integrate diverse information from varied sources.
- Ability to identify public affairs issues, opportunities and risks in an international environment.
- Ability to diplomatically handle sensitive situations with target audiences and cultivate productive relationships.
- Knowledge of relevant internal policies and business activities/issues.
- Show pride in GRID-Arendal’s work and in achievements; demonstrate professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Knowledge of the full range of communications approaches, tools, and methodologies essential to planning and executing effective campaign strategies and programmes, e.g. campaign management, media operations, marketing and promotion, audience outreach, message targeting.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience.
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Ability to produce a variety of written communications products in a clear, concise style.
- Ability to deliver oral presentations to various audiences.
Planning and Organizing
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies.
- Identifies priority activities and assignments.
- Adjusts priorities as required.
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work,
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in communication, journalism, international relations, public administration or related field.
A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in media relations and/or journalism with a focus on the environment &/or related science-based topics, of which at least five years must be in Norway, is required. International experience and/or knowledge about the UN system is desirable.
Fluency in English and Norwegian is required. Working knowledge of other UN languages is desirable
GRID-Arendal is committed to building and maintaining a diverse and welcoming workplace. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
GRID-Arendal’s salary system is linked to the Norwegian Government salary system, based on education and experience. Salaries are subject to Norwegian tax regulations. Insurance and personal benefits are provided in addition to salary.
Deadline for applications: 30 November 2021
Application should include a cover letter and curriculum vitae. Please send your application by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org and mark in the subject “Head of Media Relations” by close of business on 30 November 2021.
more information about the position, please contact: Peter Harris, Managing
Director, GRID-Arendal, e-mail: Peter.Harris@grida.no;
Ph 4763 0434
Position type: Permanent