We uncover the true facts behind these 10 Plastic Myths
While the world agrees that we must fight plastic pollution in our oceans, there is still so much that we don’t know about it, such as where the problems really stem from and what the solutions really are. Our new website highlights the myths and misconceptions about plastic. The hidden costs of producing plastics are high, and recycling isn’t always an option despite what one might think.
Plasticsmyths.com examines the 10 most common myths about plastics;
1. Plastic production is cheap
2. The market for recycled plastic is robust
3. All plastic can be recycled
4. Bioplastics can solve all the problems caused by plastics
5. Plastic packaging is unnecessary and harmful
6. Plastics in agriculture cause little harm
7. Plastic waste is not an issue in textiles
8. E-waste is not a part of the plastic waste problem
9. If consumers did their part, plastics recycling would be an unequivocal success
10. Chemical recycling can solve the plastic pollution crisis
The website gives a detailed and scientifically backed account of the facts when it comes to plastic. But the goal is also to provide recommendations to decision makers on a local, national and internation level about how we can solve the challenges caused by plastic.
- «When politicians prepare to discuss the challenge, we wanted to create a website that gathers all of the science about plastic. This way, we ensure that the actions taken in response are rooted in science and fact,» says GRID-Arendal Senior Expert in Marine Litter, Ieva Rucevska.
Ieva is the project lead behind the Plastic Myths project, and was part of the first introductory meetings for the plastic agreement that will be adopted by the UN. During the meeting, the world’s leaders will discuss solutions for the plastic crisis.
For more information about Plastic Myths, contact Ieva Rucevska at +47 928 95 483
Release date: 02 Jun 2022