Vacancy: Senior Communications Officer
GRID-Arendal is looking for a Senior Communications Officer with excellent English language skills. You should have experience in communications or journalism with a strong background in environmental issues. You will be working with highly motivated international team members to advise and support your colleagues to develop communications plans that deliver results and demonstrate impact. Experience in an international setting is a definite asset.
Do you like a fast-paced, dynamic work environment with multiple challenges? Are you driven by the need to make a difference in your work? Can you tell a good story? If so, you might be the person we are looking for.
The Senior Communication Officer is responsible for leading the development of GRID-Arendal’s creative communications by working with programme and project leads to integrate communications into all the organization’s projects. This includes developing communications plans, identifying audiences, cultivating and managing relationships with local, national and international media, assisting in increasing GRID-Arendal’s social media reach, and other related activities to raise GRID-Arendal’s profile in Norway and globally. The primary goal is to expand the reach and influence of GRID-Arendal.
This is a “hands-on” position requiring flexibility and the ability to work on numerous projects at the same time. The Senior Communication Officer needs to be able to craft a good story that will convey complex environmental issues in clear language that will help educate the public and influence policy.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Contribute to the design and strategic development of GRID-Arendal’s communication programme,
- Coordinate and write stories that reach target audiences, promote action to increase and to drive traffic to GRID-Arendal’s website and social media platforms;
- Together with Head of Communications, work collaboratively with GRID-Arendal’s different programmes and teams to establish target audiences and communications and marketing plans for increasing GRID-Arendal’s institutional visibility and presence related to its mission and values;
- Lead and implement new activities in line with GRID-Arendal’s Communication Strategy and support project leads when relevant;
- Responsible for managing the organization’s media relations policy to ensure GRID-Arendal has a positive relationship with targeted media; its key messages are promoted and has trained spokespersons prepared to speak on its behalf;
- Responsible for project management, including project development, budgets and reporting to clients;
- Serve as the editor of GRID-Arendal’s publications, Annual Reports, and other print collateral including establishing editorial tone, direction, and standards.
- Raise funds to support GRID-Arendal communications through identification of opportunities, engagement with funders and participation in proposal development and submission;
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Education, experience and skills:
- Master’s degree in communications and/journalism or a related field;
- Minimum 10 years of experience focused on environmental issues or an equivalent communication setting, of which at least 5 years must be science writing;
- Creative and innovative ability to convey technical and complex concepts to a variety of audiences;
- Minimum of 5 years of international working experience and knowledge about the UN system/international organizations preferred;
- Experience with media outreach and public presentations;
- Excellent English written and verbal communications skills. Additional language skills would be an advantage;
- Established network of contacts in support of the aforementioned goals would be a great asset.
- Excellent team player and ability to work independently;
- High motivation and energy;
- Ability to pursue multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment and consistently meet deadlines;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Excellent networking capabilities and diplomatic skills; and,
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work in an international and culturally diverse environment.
GRID-Arendal’s salary system is linked to the Norwegian Government salary system. It is based on education and experience. Salaries are subject to Norwegian tax regulations. Insurance and personal benefits are provided in addition to salary.
Deadline for applications: 7 April 2019
Application should include a Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae. Please send your application by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org and mark in the subject ‘Senior Communication Officer’, by close of business on 7 April 2019.
For more information about the position, please contact: Janet Fernandez Skaalvik, Head of Communications, email: email@example.com.
Position type: Permanent