This programme promotes the need to value and protect Africa’s natural resource base
Are you planning a future career working on global environmental issues? Then a Student Internship with GRID-Arendal could be an ideal start.
GRID-Arendal is currently accepting applications for our Internship Programme; fall 2018 and spring 2019.
The programme offers undergraduate and graduate students the opportunity to work in a multi-cultural international organization, gaining practical work experience and developing skills under the guidance of experts.
In particular we are looking for students with the following interest areas; trending communication technologies, climate change vulnerability and adaptation especially in polar and mountain environments, sustainable development, marine spatial planning, GIS and web mapping, blue carbon, ecological economics, and marine litter.
You can read more about our programmes and activities here: www.grida.no/programmes
· Gain practical and professional experience on environmental issues
· Work full-time, 5 days a week
· Participate in meetings with colleagues and experts
· Draft, edit, or contribute to reports, communication products, talking points, or other materials prepared by GRID-Arendal
· Support events, including international and/or multilateral meetings and conferences
Generally, GRID-Arendal offers accommodation, a work programme, a supervisor, and the necessary office space and equipment. Travel and per diem expenses are normally paid by the partner institution/university etc.
Due to the large number of applicants and the limited number of places available per year, applicants are strongly advised to note the following minimum eligibility criteria for an internship at GRID-Arendal. If all of the requirements are not met, the application will not be processed.
1. Undergraduates (juniors and seniors) and Graduate Students
- A student is an individual who is enrolled in a degree-seeking program in an accredited college or university.
- An applicant is considered a junior if he/she will have completed all sophomore credits by the time the internship begins and will be entering at least the junior year immediately following completion of the internship.
- An individual enrolled in school and receiving credit toward their degree for participating in the Internship programme is also considered a student.
(NB: applicants pursuing their studies in countries where higher education is not divided into undergraduate and graduate levels should have completed at least three years of university studies)
2. Willingness to work as an intern on a full-time basis spending five days a week for a period of not less than three months and not exceeding six months.
3. Endorsement from applicant’s educational institution, attesting to the fact that the applicant is currently a registered student and will continue to be enrolled for the envisaged period of the internship. A letter from any one of the following personnel is suggested:
• Dean of Students or dean of faculty
• Placement officer
4. Excellent written and spoken English, which is the working language of GRID-Arendal. If you know any other languages, please list them in your CV.
How to apply:
Please submit the following documents to the HR department:
1. Statement of Interest: Please include your preferred availability dates and startup date, a short Statement of Interest describing your academic background, courses completed, foreign languages or other skill sets that may be relevant to GRID-Arendal’s areas of work. Consider including information about experiences that make you unique.
2. A detailed CV, including date of birth, nationality, address, and educational enrolment dates.
3. Required Documents. Please provide us with proof of student status in the form of an official or unofficial transcript of records and copies of university degrees, diplomas obtained if available and enrollment period. A signed and stamped letter of endorsement from your educational institution, attesting to the fact that applicant is currently a registered student and will continue to be enrolled for the proposed period of the internship.
Please submit your application to this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are continuously focusing on recruiting interns, so please feel free to apply as soon as you know your study cycle and your availability dates.
Please note that internships are most often approved in the form of a signed agreement between GRID-Arendal and a host institution, university, organization, sponsorships etc.
The agreement should specify:
· obligations of all parties (intern, GRID-Arendal, host institution or sponsor)
· GRID-Arendal work programme assignment and general description of work tasks
· practical and financial responsibilities of all parties (including travel, accommodation)
· mutual contact information
· insurances, social security conditions and responsibilities
· the right to mutual termination notice
· assessment reporting procedures and outputs during and/or after internship period.
Welcome to apply!
Duration: 4 - 6 months fall 2018 or spring 2019
Position type: Permanent
Developing ways to capture the fundamental role of healthy ecosystems for social and economic development.
The polar and high mountains are the planet’s barometers, telling us a great deal about the present and future effects of climate change.