Mapping and communication
Developing innovative tools to communicate using maps
GRID-Arendal (www.grida.no) is a small, flexible organization with highly qualified staff that specializes in complex environmental issues. We seek an expert in marine spatial planning to join our team and support our ongoing work in marine management. The ideal candidate will develop and lead projects related to marine spatial planning, with a particular focus on supporting developing countries. You have an established network of partners and have experience working with UN agencies, international development programmes or similar.
Main objectives and responsibilities
The candidate will be responsible for the development and delivery of projects supporting marine spatial planning in both regional and global settings. You will work closely with other staff to ensure that GRID-Arendal delivers high quality outcomes, with a particular focus on supporting marine spatial planning in developing coastal and small island developing states.
· Advanced degree or equivalent experience in a discipline relevant to GRID-Arendal’s goals and programmes.
· Minimum five years of experience in environmental management with demonstrated experience in marine spatial planning.
· A strong interest in project development, fundraising, implementation, and management; particularly projects related to marine management or marine spatial planning.
· Experience working with the UN or international environment or development programmes, and a strong professional network.
· Excellent communications skills, including both written and spoken English.
· Knowledge of other languages, particularly French or Norwegian would be an advantage.
· An understanding of the importance of communications in project development and results dissemination.
· Strong track record in successful project completion, delivering high impact outcomes
· Knowledge of GIS/spatial analysis is an advantage.
· Excellent team player and ability to work independently
· High motivation and energy
· Ability to pursue multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment and consistently meet deadlines
· Excellent networking capabilities and diplomatic skills
· Interpersonal skills and ability to work in an international and culturally diverse environment
GRID-Arendal practices equal gender opportunity and qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
GRID-Arendal’s salary system is linked to the Norwegian Government salary system. It is based on education and experience. Salaries are subject to Norwegian tax regulations. Insurance and personal benefits are provided in addition to salary.
Deadline for applications: 22 October 2018
Application should include a Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae. Please send your application by email to: email@example.com and mark in the subject ‘Marine Spatial Planning’, by close of business on 22 October 2018.
For more information about the position, please contact Miles Macmillan Lawler, Incoming Chief Scientist, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Type: Permanent position
Starting date: 2018-11-01
Position type: Permanent