European Marine Observation and Data Network - EMODnet
Making European data available to support the Maritime Spatial Planning and the Blue Economy
GRID-Arendal is seeking a Marine Project Administrator for the duration of the projects, ca for 2 years with a possible extension. In close cooperation with responsible Project Managers, the Project Administrator will provide general project administration to 2-3 large, multi-faceted, fast-paced projects that consist of multiple partners and numerous deliverables primarily active in West Africa. This position requires strong time management skills and constant monitoring of project variables. You will help to maintain an accurate and up to date overview of the project finances to ensure positive project successes and outcomes.
You will also be responsible for leading event logistics and support, including in-country workshops and meetings, with the support from partners in the region, and provide input to the general communication needs of the project, particularly around events. You will be taking responsibility for your own tasks, working closely with the team members and external partners.
A short summary of the relevant projects:
1. The MAMI WATA project is a collaborative effort of GRID-Arendal and the Secretariat of the Abidjan Convention. It aims to strengthen national and regional action to capture the value of marine and coastal ecosystems through a dual approach, developing capacity through training, and applying State of Marine Environment Assessments, CBD Ecologically and Biologically Significant Marine Areas (EBSA) and Marine Spatial Planning (MSP), in a framework for Integrated Ocean Management. The project works closely with national pilot projects and centres of expertise (mamiwataproject.org).
2. The ResilienSEA project aims for a greater understandin of seagrass ecosystems in West Africa. Seagrasses are one of the ocean’s most important habitats but are one of the world’s least known ecosystems and in dire need of protection. This project will bring together managers and researchers to gather data and create national and regional expertise within West Africa for increased protection and better management frameworks. When integrated into marine planning initiatives, it results in the ability to enact positive change for these habitats.
3. The EMODNet Bathymetry project is an EU funded project to create a standard bathymetric surface for the whole of European Waters. GRID-Arendal is coordinator for the development of a digital terrain model (DTM) for the Norwegian Sea (Including Icelandic Sea) for inclusion in the EMODNET Hydrography Portal. This role entails the co-ordination of data providers, identification of potential new data providers, and the production of the Norwegian Sea DTM to required specifications for inclusion in the EMODNet portal. http://www.grida.no/activities/8
- Providing administrative support to Project Managers to maintain an accurate overview of the project finances and contracts
- Support the planning of the financial budget necessary for the project
- Coordinating with team members frequently for updates regarding the work in progress
- Monitoring the progress of the project and incorporating team suggestions
- Tracking and reporting on overall progress and prepare quarterly financial reports
- Maintaining the project in- and outgoing invoicing processes, ensure invoices are received and paid in timely manner and in line with contractual terms
- Preparing contractual arrangements for external partners and consultants for internal approval
- Organising events/workshop and providing general logistic coordination, budget planning and reporting
- Dealing with ad hoc project specific issues
- Bachelor degree or higher
- 3-5 years working experience as project administrator preferably in managing multi-year projects, as well as experience in finance budgeting and reporting.
- Project monitoring and evaluation (M&E)
- Office administration and reporting skills
- Required languages: French and English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
- Work experience in developing countries, with experience in West Africa as an advantage
- Interest in environmental issues, in particular related to the Marine Environment
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail, thorough, well organised and effectively manage time
- Flexible and hands on approach with solid team work skills
- Able to work on own initiative and be pro-active
- Excellent skills in MS Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and advanced Excel skills and knowledge
- Able to work in a very fast paced work environment and at times under the pressure of meeting critical deadlines
GRID-Arendal’s salary system is linked to the Norwegian Government salary system. It is based on education and experience. Salaries are subject to Norwegian tax regulations. Insurance and personal benefits are provided in addition to salary.
Deadline for applications: 20 April 2018
Application should include a Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae. Please send your application by email to: Hr@grida.no and mark in the subject ‘Marine Project Administrator’, by close of business on 20 April 2018.
For more information, please contact Luana Karvel, Head of Human Resources and Office Administration, email: Luana.Karvel@grida.no.
Type: Temporary Position - Independent Consultancy Contract
Duration: 2 years with possible extension
Position type: Permanent