We still have available internship positions as communications interns in the “Blue Carbon programme” and the “Ecosystem, Economies and Sustainable Development programme”.
Are you studying topics related to international and online communication and passionate about saving the environment? Then a student internship with GRID-Arendal could be an ideal start of your career.
Through the communications internship at GRID-Arendal you get the opportunity to develop your communication skills and work in a team of international environmentalists.
- A passion for the planet and its people.
- Experience with online communication tools
- The ability to work independently as well as closely with the programme team
- The ability to respond to short notice requests
- Reliable, organized and detail-oriented
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Other communications background/experience (e.g. adobe creative suit, video-creations, event communications) would be an asset
Support for project activities is currently most needed for:
- Online communication, including wordpress, websites maintenance and updates,
- The development and implementation of social media plans
- Writing and editing news articles, updates on the websites, leaflets etc,
- Assisting with preparation and logistics for meetings and workshops
- The development and implementation of social media plans,
- Writing and editing news articles, updates on the websites, leaflets and other promotional material
- Assisting with preparation and logistics for meetings and workshops.
The following two programmes offers regular internships for students pursuing a Bachelor- or Master’s degree: (Please let us know from what date you are available, also the autumn of 2018)
Ecosystem, Economies and Sustainable Development Programme
Healthy ecosystems are the foundation of human well-being because they provide benefits to people in the form of food, clean water, air, fertile soil and stable coastlines, among other things. This fundamental concept linking human well-being to healthy ecosystems is a main premise of GRID-Arendal’s Ecosystem, Economies and Sustainable Development Programme, which brings together a variety of projects aiming at integrated management, ecosystem services and green economy, with a focus on the marine environment. Capacity development, knowledge sharing and advancing concepts nationally, regionally and globally are the programme’s key tools to support the United Nations Environment Agenda, and the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
The Blue Carbon programme
“Blue carbon” refers to the carbon linked to natural coastal and marine ecosystems. These ecosystems can aid in the mitigation of climate change by fixing and storing atmospheric carbon. Blue carbon ecosystems include tidal marshlands, mangrove forests, and seagrass meadows, all of which are not only naturally beautiful but also filter pollution, house fish nurseries and buffer shorelines against storms. The sustainable management of these ecosystems can improve livelihoods around while mitigating for climate change. GRID-Arendal´s Blue Carbon Programme promotes the sustainable management of blue carbon ecosystems through harnessing the value
of carbon and other ecosystem services to achieve change. We work internationally through partners and networks and support the UN Environment’s mission and Blue Carbon Initiative.
- Gain practical and professional experience on environmental issues
- Work full-time, 5 days a week
- Participate in meetings with colleagues and experts
- Draft, edit, or contribute to reports, communication products, talking points, or other materials prepared by GRID-Arendal
- Support events, including international and/or multilateral meetings and conferences
Internships are approved in the form of signed agreements between GRID-Arendal and a host institution, university, organization, sponsorships etc.
These agreements should specify:
- obligations of all parties (intern, GRID-Arendal, host institution or sponsor)
- GRID-Arendal work programme assignment and general description of work tasks
- practical and financial responsibilities of all parties (including travel, accommodation)
- mutual contact information
- insurances, social security conditions and responsibilities
- the right to mutual termination notice
- assessment reporting procedures and outputs during and/or after internship period.
Generally, GRID-Arendal offers accommodation, 5.000 NOK compensation, a work programme, a supervisor, and the necessary office space and equipment. Travel and per diem expenses are normally paid by the partner institution/university etc.
Due to the large number of applicants and the limited number of places available per year, applicants are strongly advised to note the following minimum eligibility criteria for an internship at GRID-Arendal. If all of the requirements are not met, the application will not be processed.
1. Undergraduates (juniors and seniors) and Graduate Students
- A student is an individual who is enrolled in a degree-seeking program in an accredited college or university.
- An applicant is considered a junior if he/she will have completed all sophomore credits by the time the internship begins and will be entering at least the junior year immediately following completion of the internship.
- An individual enrolled in school and receiving credit toward their degree for participating in the Internship programme is also considered a student.
(NB: applicants pursuing their studies in countries where higher education is not divided into undergraduate and graduate levels should have completed at least three years of university studies)
2. Willingness to work as an intern on a full-time basis spending five days a week for a period of not less than three months and not exceeding six months.
3. Endorsement from applicant’s educational institution, attesting to the fact that the applicant is currently a registered student and will continue to be enrolled for the envisaged period of the internship. A letter from any one of the following personnel is suggested:
- Dean of Students or dean of faculty
- Placement officer
4. Excellent written and spoken English
English is the working language of GRID-Arendal.
5. In some of our projects language skills like French, Russian, Spanish or Chinese, will be an advantage
How to apply:
Please submit the following documents to the Head of Human Resources:
1. Statement of Interest: Please include your preferred availability dates and startup date, a short Statement of Interest describing your academic background, courses completed, foreign languages or other skill sets that may be relevant to GRID-Arendal’s areas of work. Consider including information about experiences that make you unique.
2. A detailed CV, including date of birth, nationality, address, and educational enrolment dates.
3. Required Documents. Please provide us with proof of student status in the form of an official or unofficial transcript of records and copies of university degrees, diplomas obtained if available and enrollment period. A signed and stamped letter of endorsement from your educational institution, attesting to the fact that applicant is currently a registered student and will continue to be enrolled for the proposed period of the internship.
Please submit your application to this email address: email@example.com
Please submit your application as soon as possible, as we continuously are focusing on recruiting interns.
Head of HR and Office Administration
Tel: +47 47 64 45 55
Duration: 4-6 months
Starting date: 2018-02-11
Position type: Permanent