HomeAboutActivitiesMapsPhotosPublicationsNews
 
Home >> Great Arctic Reserve, Taimyrski Zapovednik and Germa ... >> Rysyukov Station, Taimyrsky Zapovednik, German-Soviet Taimyr Expedition 1989
Size Pixels Download  
small 800 x 508 Download  
medium 2200 x 1398 Download  
original 3032 x 1927 Download  
Uploaded on Friday 08 Mar 2013 by Peter Prokosch

Rysyukov Station, Taimyrsky Zapovednik, German-Soviet Taimyr Expedition 1989

The first destination of the German-Soviet expedition in 1989 was the Zapovednik (nature reserve) "Taimyrsky", in central Taimyr peninsular in the north of Krasnoyarsky Krai, established in 1979. Except the main area the Zapovednik includes also three isolated sites – "Ary-Mas", "Lukunsky", "Balakhinsky". The total area is 1781,9 thousand ha. - The Taimyr peninsular is covered by the most extensive and northernmost tundra habitats in Siberia. These enormous wetlands are used during the short Arctic summer by millions of waterbirds, which winter in Southern Europe, Southern Asia and Africa. The biodiversity of the Taimyr peninsular is with 20% well covered with different kinds of protected areas. However, there may be need to connect them by South-North corridors to secure adaptation of biodiversity moving North with climate change. With increased warming and thawing of tundra massive release of methane stored in the ground could trigger further climate change.
Views: 199     Downloads: 58     Rating: 3
Stones pressed out and sorted by permafrost, Tundra,  Sterlegova (75.26N 89.09E), Taimyr, Russia (1991)
Asian Globe flower, Trollius asiaticus, Norilsk, Taimyr. Russia
Larch trees, Ari Mas, part of the Taimyrsky Zapovednik at the tree line in Southern Taimyr, Russia, June 1989
Partnership of the Taimyrski Zapovednik with Schleswig-Holstein Wadden Sea National Park, common exhibition in Khatanga, Taimyr, Russia, 1995
Melting Sea Ice, North coast of Taimyr, July 1990
Ivory gulls (Pagophila eburnea), Izvesti Tsik Islands, Troynoy, North of Taimyr, Russia
North Sibirian River, Russia
North of Sterlegova, Taimyr, Russia, July 1990
;