Using this item and referring to it is encouraged, and please use it in presentations, web pages, newspapers, blogs and reports.
For any form of publication, please include the link to this page and give the creator credit (in this case Peter Prokosch)
Remains from the Norwegian Whaling Station on Deception Island, South Shetland Islands, Antarctica
Antarctic whaling began on a large scale in 1904 with the building of a whale processing station at Grytviken, South Georgia. A number of shore-based stations were in operation under some kind of regulation on the catches very shortly after this, among them the station of the Norwegian Hektor Company on Deception Island, which was active 1911-1931. Special equipment were installed here to extract oil also from the whale bones. During the whaling days 45 men died, and the cemetry is still visible behind station. Today whaling is regulated by the International Whaling Commission.