HomeAboutActivitiesMapsPhotosPublicationsNews
 
Home >> Great Arctic Reserve, Taimyrski Zapovednik and Germa ... >> Malaya Logata station, Taimyrsky Zapovednik, Taimyr, Russia
Size Pixels Download  
small 542 x 800 Download  
medium 1492 x 2200 Download  
original 2056 x 3031 Download  
Uploaded on Friday 08 Mar 2013 by Peter Prokosch

Malaya Logata station, Taimyrsky Zapovednik, Taimyr, Russia

Within the former German-Soviet Environmental Agreement in the years 1989-1991 3 biological expeditions to the Taimyr peninsular in northernmost Siberia were performed. They laid the ground for a partnership agreement between the Taimyrsky Zapovednik (nature reserve) and the Schleswig-Holstein Waddensea National Park and later the establishment (1993) of the Great Arctic Reserve (Zapovednik). The Taimyr peninsular is covered by the most extensive and northernmost tundra habitats in Siberia. These enormous wetlands are used during the short Arctic summer by millions of waterbirds, which winter in Southern Europe, Southern Asia and Africa. The biodiversity of the Taimyr peninsular is with 20% well covered with different kinds of protected areas. However, there may be need to connect them by South-North corridors to secure adaptation of biodiversity moving North with climate change. With increased warming and thawing of tundra massive release of methane stored in the ground could trigger further climate change.
Views: 203     Downloads: 14     Rating: 3
Stones pressed out and sorted by permafrost, Tundra,  Sterlegova (75.26N 89.09E), Taimyr, Russia (1991)
Larch trees, Ari Mas, part of the Taimyrsky Zapovednik at the tree line in Southern Taimyr, Russia, June 1989
Asian Globe flower, Trollius asiaticus, Norilsk, Taimyr. Russia
Melting Sea Ice, North coast of Taimyr, July 1990
North Sibirian River, Russia
North of Sterlegova, Taimyr, Russia, July 1990
Ivory gulls (Pagophila eburnea), Izvesti Tsik Islands, Troynoy, North of Taimyr, Russia
Partnership of the Taimyrski Zapovednik with Schleswig-Holstein Wadden Sea National Park, common exhibition in Khatanga, Taimyr, Russia, 1995
;