Baker, Elaine Senior Expert, Marine Sciences, Marine Programme (University of Sydney)Phone:
+61 2 93 51 3000 / +47 99162969 Send e-mail
• PhD University of Sydney, Australia.
• Sedimentation in a Tidally dominated delta and the impact of upstream mining:
Fly River Papua New Guinea
• M. App. Sc. Environmental Toxicology (University of Technology, Sydney, Australia
• B.Sc. (Hons.) La Trobe University, Victoria
• Dip. Languages (Modern Hebrew) University of Sydney, Australia
• Principal Research Fellow, University of Sydney Institute of Marine Science.
• Working with UNEP-GRID Arendal on developing a program to assist coastal States in the submission of claims for extended continental shelf – under Article 76 of the UNCLOS (October 2004 – present)
• Associate Director Australian Ocean Drilling Program Secretariat (AUSODP),
University of Sydney (1998 – December 2003)
• Research planning and development, education and training, stakeholder and member country consultation, financial planning and fundraising.
Program Manager (1994-1998) seconded from the University of Sydney to Sydney Water (a government statutory authority responsible for providing drinking water, wastewater and stormwater services to 4 million people)
Development of risk-based plans for Sydney Water’s ocean outfall systems and associated infrastructure. The program had a budget of AUS$15 million and a legislative requirement for its implementation.
Research Fellow (1986-1994) Ocean Sciences Institute (now incorporated in to the University of Sydney Institute of Marine Science).
Management of a large scale sea floor mapping program in the South Pacific; the development of defence intelligence through the provision of regional oceanographic data; and coastal zone management studies centred on large-scale contaminant fate and transport investigations.
Well-site Geologist (1982-1984) Gearhart Australia
Seismic data and downhole log interpretation, drilling supervision.
Publications see http://www.geosci.usyd.edu.au/about/people/staff/baker.html