PDF-A and PDF-B
During the PDF-A phase of ECORA, in February 2000, 23 potential Model Areas were identified in the Russian Arctic according to criteria agreed upon by stakeholders.
During the PDF-B phase in 2001, these were narrowed down to three Model Areas based on the selection criteria, consultation with regional authorities and other stakeholders, and feasibility reports prepared by the regions. Fact-finding missions and a number of other studies were also conducted during the PDF-B phase to provide the necessary baseline information for the main phase proposal.
The PDF-A and PDF-B phases helped to create awareness and understanding about Integrated Ecosystem Management and nurtured the political will to act.
During the main phase of ECORA (2003-2008), the following four components will be implemented in each of the three Model Areas:
- Strengthen the Enabling Environment for Integrated Ecosystem Management (IEM)
- Build legislative, administrative, institutional, and human capacity.
- Strengthen the Knowledge Base for Planning, Implementing and Evaluating Integrated Ecosystem Management (IEM) Plans
- Conduct ecosystem and socio-economic overviews, including thematic maps, in order to provide the knowledge base and to identify indicators for monitoring and evaluation.
- Develop Integrated Ecosystem Management (IEM) Plans and Strategies in the Model Areas (MA)
- Each plan will include ecosystem conservation and management objectives, targeted actions, necessary agreements amongst stakeholders, and an implementation and monitoring/evaluation plan. A public participation strategy will be included in this component and options for co-management of natural resources within the IEM plan will be investigated.
- Pilot Projects to Test Integrated Ecosystem Management (IEM) Implementation Strategies
- This will allow the IEM plan to be modified according to the results of the pilot projects, and allows participants to see some early results of the IEM process, thus encouraging their continued participation.