184.108.40.206. Necessary Steps for Determining ARD Lands and Stock Changes
The steps required to determine the area of ARD land and the carbon stock changes
on these lands differ between the definitional scenarios. Several questions
need to be answered for each area of land sampled. Box 3-1
summarizes the steps to be taken. The sequence applies for the land-based and
activity-based approaches, except where indicated otherwise.
Box 3-1. Steps for Determining ARD Lands and Stock
[Text in square brackets indicates that one of
the choices must be selected.]
For the Land Use Scenario:
- Has the land-use designation for the area been changed?
For Other Scenarios:
- Has the vegetation attribute [forest cover or carbon content-at
maturity except for the Land Cover scenario] of the area passed a
threshold [various possible definitions; or changed by more than a
specified amount] since the last evaluation?
- Is the activity that caused the crossing of the vegetation-attribute
threshold an activity that results in the creation of ARD land (i.e.,
- If the vegetation does not currently meet the criterion for forest,
is it expected to grow past that threshold (all scenarios except Land
For All Scenarios:
- For ARD land where the ARD activity started before 2008: What was/is
the carbon stock in the beginning of the commitment period? For ARD
land where the ARD activity started after 1 January 2008: What was/is
the carbon stock at the beginning of the activity (activity-based
approach and land-based approach II)? What was/is the carbon stock
at the beginning of the commitment period (land-based approach I)?
- For ARD land: What is the carbon stock in the end of the commitment
- Calculate carbon stock change as 2012 stocks from item 6 above minus
[2008 stocks or pre-activity stocks] from item 5 above.
If the option of a D-R Rule and A/R Debit Rule is adopted, then:
- For ARD land that was deforested between 1990 and 2007, limit credits
from item 7 above to the extent by which the carbon stock in 2012
exceeds those [prior to deforestation or in 1990].
- Limit any debit for afforestation and reforestation activities to
credits received previously.