|IPCC Special Report on Emissions Scenarios||Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change|
1. The regional definition used in Nakic´enovic´ et al., 1998a, includes: AFR: Sub-saharan Africa; CPA: China and Centrally Planned Asia; EEU: Central and Eastern Europe; FSU: Newly Independent States of the former Soviet Union; LAM: Latin America and the Caribbean; MEA: Middle East and North Africa; PAO: Pacific OECD; PAS: Other Pacific Asia; SAS: South Asia; WEU: Western Europe.
2. All estimates, excluding biomass, have been converted into thermal equivalents with an average factor of 38.5%.
3. These activities include deforestation, afforestation, changes in agricultural management, and other anthropogenic land-use changes that result in a net flow of GHGs to or from the atmosphere. They exclude natural biogenic emissions and emissions that are not related to anthropogenic activity such as CO2 from volcanoes or volatile organic compounds from forests.
4. We include deforestation in this category of emissions even though this is a process of land-cover change rather than a land-use activity.
5. East Asia including China, Southeast Asia, and the Indian subcontinent.